Farmers save more lambs on BEDMAX
A growing number of sheep farmers throughout the UK have been switching from straw to BEDMAX shavings at lambing time - and finding that BEDMAX can make a big difference to E.coli infection and death rates.
John Gray, Whittingham, Northumberland
'Lamb deaths have been reduced and we need fewer antibiotics so we are cutting costs there, too. We also save on labour as the bedding in the pens stays dry and comfortable, and we don’t need to muck out as often as we did when we were using straw. Although BEDMAX is a little bit more expensive than straw, the benefits far outweigh the costs.’
With lambing now starting in earnest earlier each year, the vast majority of farmers lamb indoors, which can concentrate the effects and the spread of infections.
Lambing on straw indoors, farmers would normally expect to lose around 5% of their lambs to E.coli infection alone, and mild, wet weather is likely to increase bacterial and viral infections.
Farmers using BEDMAX report that they see a dramatic drop in lamb deaths due to infection - sometimes eradicating these losses completely.
BEDMAX shavings are made predominantly from pine tmber, which has proven, natural antiseptic properties, and it is almost certainly the protective qualities of pine that are helping to save lamb lives. With lamb prices now at an all-time high, farmers using BEDMAX shavings have found the investment pays off, saving them money in antispetic bedding treatments, antibiotics and, crucially, in lamb losses.
BEDMAX BENEFITS for FARMERS
These are the key benefits that farmers report to us after using BEDMAX shavings in their lambing pens:
- BEDMAX shavings are made from pine, which has scientifically proven anti-bacterial properties.
- E.coli is one of the bacteria that pine kills completely.
- Reduced infection cuts the need for expensive antibiotics.
- Hygienic protection is enhanced because our shavings are dried at sterilising temperatures.
- BEDMAX has one of the lowest levels of dust and spores of any bedding. (Straw has one of the highest.)
- Your lambs start life on a 100% natural, purpose-made bedding that stays dry, warm and protective throughout the crucial early period.
- You save time, costs and losses with BEDMAX. Our shavings help reduce your time and labour, last longer and help you raise more lambs...
- High quality is consistent and dependable.
- So is supply.